0001

It felt like falling. I sat up with the taste of brine in my mouth and frowned. Had I screamed? I thought I could hear an echo of my own voice. Nothing moved in the bedroom. the door was closed and the window had allowed in a triangle of moonlight which lay across the duvet. I could not remember the dream; I never did. All I had was the fading taste of salt in my mouth. My heart was racing and I got gulps of air, as if I had surfaced from somewhere deeper than I had thought. The echo faded. But I knew the word. I knew what I had cried out as I woke. 

Aoife. 

I got dressed in the first leggings and hoodie I could find and pulled sneakers on in the hallway. I grabbed my keys and took the lift down to the car. In a few minutes, I was driving up and out onto the main road, turning left towards Howth Head. The Moon was racing between light clouds and Jupiter stood high above the Summit. There was nobody else on the road. It was 3 in the morning. I leaned on the accelerator. 

The Bailey lighthouse swept the shoreline as I turned onto the driveway towards my childhood home. A old Georgian mansion, built for the architect of Howth Castle in the seventeenth hundreds, it was a brooding dark facade even in the daylight. I parked at the corner but did not enter. The house was dark; my father and his carer fast asleep. My sister and her boyfriend, Luke, lived together in a camper van on the grounds at the back of the house, in the middle of the apple orchard my mother had planted twenty years before. I made my way down the path beside the house and the Moon winked out of sight behind the chimney stack. 

Popular posts from this blog

004

0002